Began in 1990 as A Keiki’s Dream, Dream Imua supports Maui County’s neediest children, granting them a day of their dreams and empowering them to believe that they are special and there is hope.
When children are in crisis of any kind, they lose hope. Sometimes their sense of stability is shattered, their faith in the future and themselves is gone.
Modeled after national wish-fulfilling programs for children, Dream Imua provides a dream day to children between the ages of 4 and 16 who face a crisis of any nature; abuse, neglect, homelessness, medical or psychological issues, personal loss or family difficulties. Qualified social services programs and professionals refer eligible children to Dream Imua.
Children who come to Dream Imua, choose, create and experience his or her own special dream day on Maui. This child-directed approach not only offers a reprieve from suffering, but validates the child’s self-worth, sending positive messages of support and encouragement, reminding the child what it is to have hope.
Dream Imua now serves more than 75 children each year, and has facilitated more than 1,400 dreams day since it began.
Dream Imua Guidelines
In order to participate, a professional social service and family provider, who refer children in crisis, must refer children consistent with these guidelines:
- All children must be full time residents of Maui County
- Children served must be 4–16 years old
- The child must be referred to the Program by a valid referral agent using our Dream Imua Referral Form and include our Dream Imua Consent Form signed by a legal guardian
- The child may not have participated in a Dream Imua day in the past, unless there is a new cause for referral
- The child will need an adult in his or her life who can participate in the dream day and focus on the child while ensuring his or her safety
- The reason for the referral must consist of a “crisis” rather than a long-term chronic issue (e.g. disability)
- The child will need to physically participate in a dream day activity and be able to make their own choice in identifying their dream day option
For more information please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (808) 244-7467.