Began in 1990 as A Keiki’s Dream, Dream Imua supports Maui County’s children at a time when they need it most. When children are in crisis of any kind, they can lose hope. Sometimes their sense of stability is shattered, their faith in the future and themselves is gone. By granting them a day of their dreams, this program empowers them to believe that they are special and there is hope.
Modeled after national wish-fulfilling programs for children, Dream Imua provides a dream day to children between the ages of 4 and 16 who face a crisis of any nature; abuse, neglect, homelessness, medical or psychological issues, personal loss or family difficulties. Qualified social services programs and professionals refer eligible children to Dream Imua.
Children who come to Dream Imua, choose, create and experience their own special dream day on Maui. This child-directed approach not only offers a reprieve from suffering, but validates the child’s self-worth, sending positive messages of support and encouragement.
Dream Imua Guidelines
In order to participate a child must be referred by a social serve provider or a physician and meet the guidelines below:
- The child must be a full time resident of Maui County
- The child must be 4–16 years old
- The child must be referred to the Program by a valid referral agent using our Dream Imua Referral Application which includes our Dream Imua Consent Form signed by a legal guardian
- The child may not have participated in an Imua Dream Day in the past, unless there is a renewed cause for a referral
- The child will need an adult in his or her life who can participate in the Dream Day and focus on the child while ensuring his or her safety
- The reason for the referral must consist of a “crisis” rather than a long-term chronic issue (e.g. a disability)
- The child will need to physically participate in the Dream Day activity and be able to make their own choice in identifying their Dream Day option
For more information please email email@example.com or call (808) 244-7467.