1. What sparked your passion for fashion?
My biggest inspiration and the driving force behind my love for the fashion world has always been my mom and family. They always encourage me to be the best I can be. Seeing my designs come to life and the models enthusiastic about representing me fills me with great joy. My fashion designs are a reflection of my love for the art world and provide me with the necessary design aesthetics to grow as a designer.
2. Is this your first year showing at Fantasia Ball? What do you look forward to?
Yes, the first year will be my first showing at the fantasia ball venue. I’m very excited and honored to be one of the designers. I look forward to seeing my garment on the runway. I anticipate the expression on the viewers faces to be one of excitement and joy for a new look on a average sized woman.
3. Why do you think it’s important to support our keiki? I think it’s important to support the keiki knowing they are they are the future and often our inspiration. We need to be mentors and show them the possibilities their futures can hold. Giving them a positive outlook for the future is very important and should be something that is cherished and encouraged in our generation.
4. Can you relate to not picking up on something as quickly as your peers? Can you explain? I can relate to the challenges and learning curves all of us face in education. As a student with disabilities, it often takes me a longer time to grasp and accomplish things. Despite this, I have achieved many goals my life such as graduating college and becoming a designer. As an artist I strive for the highest level of completion and success in my endeavors. With the help of my family, counselors, teachers, and peers I’ve achieved so much. I believe that everyone can do the same by filling the sense of self-worth I do and using it to overcome their struggles.
5. Can you describe your design aesthetic? Part of my design aesthetic is borrowing things I’v seen in my the past and using it in today’s designs. My inspiration for the garment I created for the show came from My Fair Lady. I think the end product is a great representation of my vision. I wanted to bring a mix of a modern day look with nostalgia based off the scene from the horse races in My fair Lady.
6. 3 wardrobe tips for our guests getting ready for Fantasia ball ? If it looks bad to you, it probably is. Go with what you think looks good. Try to find an outfit that will accentuate and alleviate any flaws in your body. Women can never go wrong with a black dress.
7. How many hours have you spent working on this look? I’ve spent countless hours working on this look and sleepless nights of dedication honing in on my design. This has been one of my biggest challenges especially when trying to overcome the restraints of the deadlines required for the event. Making a high quality design come to life and managing your time is a big part of this process.
8. When you graduate where do you see yourself? As a senior graduate of the Fashion technology program at the UHMC, I see myself succeeding and doing more fashion shows while growing as a designer. i will continue to broaden my horizons and further my education. To better prepare for the future, I will be designing as many garments as I can to build an inventory for my portfolio.
9. How can fashion make a difference in today’s world? Fashion can make a big difference in this world by helping people emanating the way they see themselves and the way they can improve their self image. It will give consumers the ability to change and transform themselves into the image they think suits themselves. By allowing the consumer to dream and re imagine their decisions and choices, it can change and affect those people so they may view themselves in a positive way.